Skills & CV
- HTML, CSS, Markdown
- i have built more than 30 websites in that time - most no longer exist
- please read my about page to learn more about the philosophy behind my work (ease of use, accessibility, simplicity, minimalist approach etc)
Copcast Smart Policing Android App
part-time contract working for APCOF (The African Policing Civilian Oversight Forum)
APCOF, in partnership with the Igarapé Institute (Brazil), is piloting the Smart Policing Project. The initiative harnesses the potential of smartphones used by police and other public safety personnel together with an Open Source Android application to promote accountable, proactive and safer law enforcement in low and middle income settings.
The application allows for real time recording and streaming of video and audio content to a server, and analytics interface software monitored by senior officers. The Smart Policing Project’s main objectives are to increase oversight over users of the application; enhance police-community relations; and reduce the incidence of excessive use of force by officers against citizens.
The application is currently being piloted by the Western cape Provincial Traffic Department and the Johannesburg Metropolitan Police Department among others.
the important thing to note here is that the aim of the project was to promote better police-public relations.
because this was a pilot project and most of the technology hadn't been properly tested before, the operational framework was pretty much made up by my partner and me on the fly, something that is both exciting and a little scary at the same time - not to mention the fact that the app was still partially in development, so much of our work revolved around feeding bugs back to the developers so that they could improve the system.
my primary objective was to monitor officers active in the field using certain criteria, namely;
- using GPS data to generate heat maps to track user movements
- GPS data
- technical support
- monitoring officers
- data logging
- setup and fine-tuning of devices (Samsung J1 and J5, Huawei P6)
- weekly user reports to management
- teaching workshops
the final report can be viewed here link
- Armchair Handyman - a weekly column i wrote for the Bolander Newspaper providing weekly handyman advice that i had accumulated over 18 years of being a cabinet-maker. this ran for about 2 years.
- various manuscripts - some published and others unpublished (8/10)
- short stories
- magazine articles
i have always loved books, and this was the realization of a life-long dream; publishing a book myself (from the initial layout and design [incl selection of photos, scanning and laying out], to choosing the leather for the cover and overseeing various versions of the printing process).
- books (10/10)
- Call Centre handbook
- Autobiogaphy of Hazel Hill
- this latter included discussions with client, choosing originals, scanning, photo-editing, in-flowing of edited doc, layout and final design, with a number of changes taken into account.
photography & photo-journalism
partnered with Maggie Follett for many years illustrating her articles in various newspapers and magazines:
- Village Life
- Sunday Times
- various in-flight magazines
- various image compression tools
art school: 3 years drawing, painting (3/10)
Etienne de Kock, Sculptor: 10 months
personal projects (table for Lauden Kirk of Bunga Bunga)
- number of years: 18
- projects: too may to list
- drawing (technical - both electronic and manual)
this has been a life-long passion for me and i an constantly trying to increase and improve my knowledge on this matter all the time.
- helping to teach growing veg in townships in the 80s
- Compassberg sheep farm in the Karoo (herding sheep, cattle and horses, as well as castrating bulls etc)
- Compassberg farm; studying pasture management with Keith McCabe (successor to John Acocks, author of Field Types of SA link)
- planting veg, especially potatoes
- Camphill Village Alpha in Hermanus
- Hawequas herb farm Wellington
permaculture course 2012
- acquired a great deal of knowledge:
- soil science
- veg growing (many years exp)
software learned (self-taught or online tutorial):
- Adobe InDesign (6/10)
- Xara Extreme (8/10)
- CorelDraw (7/10)
- Photoshop (2/10)
- LightRoom (5/10)
- Rhino 3D (3/10)
- WAMP Server (5/10)
- MarkdownPad 2
- Magix Music Maker